Next to your home, your HVAC system is one of the biggest investments you can make towards the safety and comfort of your family. Regardless of how much time you spend in your Texas home each day, having a functional, reliable air conditioner is a must, helping to keep indoor temperature and humidity levels in check. The good news is, you can help extend the life of your air conditioner with just a few simple steps, while enhancing performance and efficiency, and reducing energy costs: annual maintenance from Quality Comfort Air!
Tips For Maintaining Your Air Conditioner
Set Your Thermostat
A programmable or smart thermostat helps reduce the workload on your AC by automatically adjusting the temperature in accordance with your schedule. Set the unit several degrees higher for times you are asleep or away, as well as to your ideal set point approximately 30 minutes before you are due to awaken or arrive home. If your schedule changes frequently, choose a model with built in Wi-Fi capabilities, which allow you to make adjustments from your tablet or smartphone so you can enjoy air conditioned comfort whenever you need it.
Schedule Professional AC Maintenance
Annual preventive maintenance is essential to the performance, efficiency, and longevity of your cooling system. While the average lifespan of an air conditioner is around 12 years, one that is professionally installed and maintained can last several years longer. During professional AC maintenance, your technician will perform the following:
- Clean evaporator coil
- Clean blower fan wheel
- Clean filter
- Inspect the condensate drain line
- Lubricate all moving parts
- Check electrical connections
- Look for any worn or damaged parts
- Test refrigerant levels
- Test airflow across the indoor and outdoor coils
- Test system controls
- And more!
As a homeowner, it’s important to take an active role in maintaining your AC by performing the following:
- Trim surrounding grasses, shrubbery, or foliage from around the outdoor unit, leaving a minimum clearance of three feet above and on all sides
- Clean or change the air filter regularly
- Perform a visual inspection of your AC listening for unusual noises and watching for corrosion or leakage
The Benefits of AC Maintenance
The best way to extend the life of your air conditioner is to keep it clean and well maintained, including annual preventive maintenance each spring. Benefits of AC maintenance include:
- Improved efficiency. An accumulation of dirt or debris, damaged or failing components, or a clogged air filter can all place undue stress, or wear and tear on parts. A clean, well maintained AC allows system components to operate fluidly, and air to flow unimpeded throughout your home.
- Lower energy costs. A dirty or neglected AC costs more to operate, as it works harder to provide climate and humidity control.
- Increased longevity. Your AC works best when all parts are clean and in good working order, placing less stress on equipment, and helping your AC to last longer.
- Fewer repairs. During routine maintenance minor issues can be detected and corrected, before they lead to large, costly repairs.
Schedule your annual AC maintenance in Spring, The Woodlands, or Kingwood with Quality Comfort Air! Contact us online for an appointment and be sure to check out our maintenance programs to save money while keeping your unit in tip-top shape!